Monday, October 29, 2012

The Croup

The last week has been miserable!!!
 Wednesday morning, around 3:00 am, something on the monitor woke me up. It was Connor and it sounded like he was trying to cough or cry or something. So I went in there, just expecting to find his bink for him and maybe rock him back to sleep, but what I found scared the crap out of me! He was having a hard time breathing. He couldn't cough or cry and it just sounded like he was gasping for air. So while David changed his diaper I ran around putting clothes on and grabbing a few things for the diaper bag and I rushed him to the emergency room.
They gave him a breathing treatment and a steroid and then kept us there to monitor him. They said he had a mild croup and that it should go away pretty quickly. Well, it didn't. It got worse. He had what they call a "rebound" from the breathing treatment and they ended up admitting him to the hospital to monitor him for the rest of the day.
This was Connor shortly after his breathing treatment at 4:00 am.
  So we sat, all day, in the hospital. I got lots of snuggle time with my baby that day but I was so sore from carrying him and holding him (he's almost 23 pounds by the way!). We couldn't lay him down because that made it harder for him to breathe. He wanted to be rocked but there was no rocking chair. So I would have to sit on the bed and rock back and forth. All. Day. My abs sure did get a work out!
One thing he did love was the crib the hospital brought to us. The only thing he used it for was to play in though...
That same day, Chloe started coughing and running a fever, so we got her in to see the doctor before it got too bad like Connor. And sure enough, she had the onset of the croup plus an ear infection.
Daddy and Connor in the hospital.
So while David was at home with Chloe, I was stuck at the hospital with Connor. There is nothing worse than not being able to be with both of my sick babies. I was worried about Connor while I was with him and I was worried about Chloe because I couldn't be with her.
We finally got released from the hospital that night and my mom came up to help us out. I needed sleep and someone needed to stay up with Connor because he couldn't lay down in his bed to sleep. He had another night of struggling to breathe but luckily my mom was there to help him and watch him all night.
  So after a long few days of 2 sick babies, I think we're finally seeing the light! Now we just have a few coughs and some runny noses but I'm happy to report that both babies seem to be feeling better!

No comments:

Post a Comment