Thursday, July 8, 2010


Well, I made it through the Laparoscopy yesterday. We got to the hospital at 6:00 am, and we didn't have to wait very long until they took us back for me to change and to start hooking me up to the IVs and taking blood and playing 20 questions about my health history before they took me into surgery.
I wasn't feeling nervous or anxious about any of it until I had to hand over my glasses to David and he kissed me and my mom told me bye. I almost broke down in tears right then. I don't know if it was because I all of a sudden got scared or if I was scared of what the Doctor was going to find or what. Who knows!
The actual procedure took about an hour and then I was wheeled back to Recovery. I woke up not too long after they took me to recovery but I was out soon after they gave me another dose of pain medicine. I could feel the pain in my stomach as soon as I woke up. My throat was in unbelievable pain too because of the tube they had to stick down it during surgery. But the nurses were amazing and gave me more pain medicine when I asked for it and were on top of getting me something to drink and warm blankets right away.
Around 10:15, they started the process of getting me released. They brought David and my mom back with my clothes and I was able to walk to a room to change in and get ready to go home. They wheeled me out and I was on my way. It felt like the the whole hospital stay was only like 2 hours long, I guess because I was out for most of it. But it just felt like I was in and out in no time.
Soooo...the results of the surgery are...I had severe Endometriosis mostly hanging around my left ovary. I didn't get a chance to really talk to the doctor, but she was able to talk to David and my mom and even show them pictures of it all. She told them that I also had lesions and some kind of band attached to something. I'm not sure what all of that means, but I will learn more at my post-op appointment on the 20th. But she was able to remove all of it which is really good news. I had to have 3 incisions, which I'm really feeling today. One was for the scope with the camera, one was to insert the gas to separate the organs, and I think the third one was to remove the endometriosis on my left ovary because it's on the left side of my stomach. They are all about the width of my fingernail, so really small. And the main one is inside my belly button, so there really won't be a visible scar there. The other is below my bikini line and the other one is on the left side of my stomach over my ovary, so that is the only one that will be visible. I'm so ok with that because I'm just so happy with the results!
I'm so happy that she actually found something in there because this is the first time we have found something that could be causing all of our problems! And the fact that it was surrounding my left ovary makes so much sense because I have HORRIBLE cramps with every period as far back as I can remember and it's always more on the left side than anything.
I am so excited to move on now and I'm way more optimistic than ever. I told David last night that I'm so excited with these results that it almost feels like I just got a positive pregnancy test! I know I'm jumping ahead of myself with that, but that's the kind of excitement I have. After 2 1/2 years of not knowing what could possibly be wrong, we finally found a "why".
I'm also worried that I might be getting my hopes up. But, like I said, I will know more when we go to the post-op appointment. But it sucks that I have to wait 2 weeks!
As far as how I'm feeling...yesterday seemed to go really good. I was awake for most of the day. But I didn't sleep very good at all. I tossed and turned because it hurt to lay on both of my sides and when I would lay on my back too long, I would start getting really bad back pains. The gas that they put inside me is moving all around and it causes sharp pains in my chest and shoulders when I stand up for too long and now in my lower back when I lay down for too long. Today, the pain seems worse around my incisions, but I was able to nap for most of the day. My tummy is swollen and it looks like I'm in the early stages of a pregnancy. But I would have to say the worst part of it all is the gas. I'm hoping that goes away soon!
Thank you to all of my friends and family that have called or texted to check on me and to show their support. Thank you so much Chelsea for the flowers that I got as soon as I got home from the hospital. Thank you mom for coming up and taking care of me and for watching endless hours of trashy tv with me. And thank you David for being supportive through all of this when you have so much going on at work and I know how stressed out you are.
I so happy this is finally over and I'm so excited to move on with more hope than ever.

1 comment:

  1. I had been thinking about you guys and hoping for an update. Hang in there! Glad you are feeling okay.