Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dr. Appointment

Today we went to my post -op appointment with Dr. Blackwell to discuss what she found during my laparoscopy and what our options are now.
Basically, what I got out of it was that I had stage 2 endometriosis, so it really wasn't as severe as I was thinking. She said that it could possibly be "the cause" of our infertility but it could have still been a possiblity to get pregnant with the amount of endometriosis I had. So, it's really not "the answer" like I thought it was. In other words, it could be the answer but there is no way to know.

She said that at my age, we would still be ok trying 3 more IUIs or if we felt like we should move on to IVF, that would be ok too. If she had said that she was confident that the amount of endometriosis I had was probably causing all of our problems and removing it significantly increases our chances, it would have been very easy to say that we should just keep on doing the IUIs. But since she didn't really reassure me of anything, the decision was a little harder.

We decided to try one more IUI on my next cycle that will start in 2 weeks. And if that one doesn't work, then it's on to IVF. We've already started looking into how we would pay for the $15,000 procedure to see if that plan was even possible.

She did say that if I was 37, she would suggest to move on to IVF right away. But since I'm "only" 27, I have plenty of time (her words, not mine). I told her that I understand that I still have time, but we've also been trying for 2 1/2 years and it's just getting more and more frustrating. She completely understood and thought we were making the right decision for now.

So it really didn't go the way I had hoped and I ended up leaving in tears. It's just really, really frustrating to think we were getting somewhere and then to be told that we still really aren't sure what the problem is and we aren't really sure what we should be doing next.

So, stay tuned for the next month's appointments, fertility meds updates, insemination info, and the frustrated of the "two week wait". I know you're super excited...:)

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there girl! I promise once that little baby comes in to your life you will forget about all the ups and downs it took you to get there!

    ReplyDelete