Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Terrible Twos (times 2!)

I once made the comment to David about how another couple's kids always look so happy and he said that mine do too in most of the pictures I post. And I guess that's true. I guess I only post and talk about the good, funny, happy, silly times. Who wants to hear about the screaming, crying, and fighting that occurs daily? I try to block it out myself.
 
Well, it's not reality. We are in deep inside the terrible twos and it's not fun! It's hard, frustrating, and exhausting. I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster every day. One second they do something so sweet and so funny and then I turn my back and one of them is screaming because the other one looked at them or touched their blanket.
 
This is the face I get almost every morning...
He was crying because I gave him French toast for breakfast. He loves French toast, so I'm not sure if I didn't hand it to him properly, if I didn't put it in the right spot on his tray, or if I put it on the wrong plate. Who knows?!?!
You see that blanket behind him? They insist on having their blankets behind them while they eat. They bring me the blankets on their way to the high chair and scream "behind you!" every time they eat. Why do they do this?!
Also, it's not just about having their blankets behind them, Connor needs his blanket a certain way and only Mommy knows how to do it. It took me a while, but I figured it out. We also have to have the blankets laying on our stools the right way in the bathroom while we are brushing our teeth. That one took me a long time to figure out what he was wanting, but I got it now. I still don't understand it, but I got it.
 
We also have screaming fits if I don't pick out the right shirt for them to wear in the mornings, and don't even get me started on how they HATE wearing jeans. And then Connor will throw himself on the floor if his socks are not on the exact right way he wants.
 
And then there's the binky. They scream if they want a binky, I give them a binky after making them ask nicely and they start screaming because it's not the right color.
Also, they feed off of each other. If one throws a fit, more than likely the other one will start crying for some random made up reason like they fell down 5 hours ago and suddenly realized they have a boo boo that needs my attention more than the other kid needs my attention.
 
Is this normal? Or did I make them like this by attending to their every need so I don't hear screaming all the time?  I'm tired, I'm pregnant, and I just want peace and happiness in our house! So yes, I did this and now I don't know how to undo it. Will they grow out of it soon? Who knows, I don't. I'm just learning as I go.
 
I do realize that it won't be like this forever and when it's all over I probably won't even remember any of these temper tantrums. I even forget about most of them the second they curl up in my lap or grab my face and kiss me or say "I love you momma". See! It's so emotional!

2 comments:

  1. Just commenting to say hi! And also that terrible twos turns into TERRIBLE threes :) But you can do it!! Congrats on the new baby, too! Come stop by justatouchofcrazy.com We're a new mommy blog and we need new friends! Plus we're having a giveaway this week. Not a big one, but it's something. And we need mommy friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you didn't "do" that to them. You tending to their needs is the best thing that you can do and you're doing a fine job of it. They are still babies and learning how to communicate in such a big, grown up world. They, also, are learning how to deal with their emotions. Thankfully, they have a momma that is there for when they need them and they realize that they are loved. Don't EVER doubt yourself when all you're doing is giving love!

    ReplyDelete