Friday, January 28, 2011

My opinion about Acupuncture

I've posted before that a friend of mine suggested that I try acupuncture for my fertility struggles. At first, I was very sceptical but I thought it was worth a try because I'm ready to try anything at this point. And if nothing else, maybe it would just help me relax and manage the stress and depression I have over trying to conceive and the loss of the twins.

At my first appointment last week, there was an interview process where we discussed the problems I'm having and my concerns and the Dr./Acupuncturist(?) explained to me how it all works and what it means to place the needles where, etc. He inserted the needles into my back (no, they don't hurt) and then left me to "relax" for about 15 minutes. Well, my brain doesn't just relax. I'm constantly thinking about stuff, what I have to do when I leave there, that I need to go to the store to pick up dog food, what I have to do this weekend, how I'm gaining too much weight and I have no pants, and so on. So I just lay there and let my mind wonder.
Then he comes in and I turn over and he puts more needles in my stomach, my wrists, and my ankles. And again, the same thing, 15 minutes to "relax".
And since you really don't see any immediate results, you kind of feel like it's a waste of time when you leave. But I purchased a 3 visit package, so I knew I had to stick it out for 2 more visits.

My second appointment was at the beginning of this week and it pretty much went just like the first visit.

Then I had my third visit last night and my whole opinion has changed. I don't know what was done differently, but I was able to relax and empty my mind. I didn't think about one single thing. I even fell asleep, twice! I did feel the needles more, he dug them in a little deeper. They didn't hurt, just a little sting and then it was over. And when I got up to leave, I felt light headed and REALLY tired. I had also mentioned to the Dr. before he started that I was suffering from bloating and cramping and all I have to say is that I had no more bloating and cramping when I walked out of the office. And I haven't had any since. I left there relaxed and in a good mood without my headache that I've been carrying around for the past week.

So who really knows if something like that "works". There have been no real studies to prove it does or doesn't. But I'm really glad that I tried it.

My boys hanging out last night while I got ready for bed...


No comments:

Post a Comment