Thursday, September 16, 2010

Baby or Babies?

Well... we had our first ultrasound this afternoon. And we were so excited to take a sneak peak at our little sweat pea (or sweat peas).

So, the Dr. starts looking around in there and right off only sees one sac so she tells us there's only one in there. I had mixed feelings of being a little disappointed and a little bit relieved. We got to see the little heart beating and then we got to hear it! It was amazing! The little pea's heart was strong at 127 beats per minute.
She starting looking around a little more and started smiling. Then informed us that there was another one hiding back there...in the same sac! That means they're identical!!!! And that had nothing to do with how many follicles I had or the fertility meds or anything. We did that one all on our own!!! We both got really excited when we saw BOTH little heartbeats going at the same time! So then we got to hear baby B's heart at 117 beats per minute. It was shocking and exciting at the same time. David's eyes were huge and he had a smile that lit up his whole face. I started crying a little bit because I just couldn't believe it!


But it's not all good news...The doctor did tell us not to get our hearts set on it just yet because she's seen plenty of people come back for their second ultrasound and there's only one baby in there. So even though we are extremely excited, we're trying to bring ourselves down to reality in case something happens.

Also, we should find out in the next few weeks if the babies are in their own separate little cocoons in the sac or if they are sharing the space. We're hoping their in their own cocoons because if they aren't it gets dangerous later on and their cords could get wrapped around each other and I would have to deliver early.

So, we're just keeping our fingers crossed that they both stick!
I go to my OB appointment on September 27th and my fertility doctor is supposed to send him all of my records and catch him up on what's going on with us. That's only a week away, thank goodness because I'm dying to check on them again!

Also...thank you to ALL of the people that sent me a message or email today telling me how excited they were to find out. I realized how much support we had when we were going through all of this, but I can't believe how many people are following this pregnancy so closely and it really makes me feel loved. So thank you all so much!

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I can't wipe the smile from my face! Congratulations, guys! Oh my goodness, I'm so excited for you! You'll be in my prayers, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the next update! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Saying I'm happy for you guys doens't even do it justice! I can't wait to follow you on this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited!!!!!That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete