Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Diaper Bargain Shopper

I'm reading 3 different pregnancy/baby books right now and one is called Baby Bargains. I've found this book really helpful because it tells you what you really need for baby and what's just a waste of money. And for the stuff that you do need, it gives you places and websites for the best deals on these items.

While I was reading through my book last week, I got to the section on diapers. It showed a formula to figure out how many diapers you'll need for baby for the first 6 weeks, since they tend to go a lot more during that time and you should be stocked up before the baby arrives. Well, the formula came out to 600 for one baby for the first 6 weeks, so of course, in my situation, I need to double that number to get my diaper amount so that equals 1,200 diapers for two babies for the first 6 weeks! I immediately ran into David and told him that we needed to go to the store right then and start buying diapers! Thank goodness we didn't do that because I spent the next day online trying to find the best deal for diapers and I'm pretty proud of what I found.

I purchased a box of 240 Pampers Swaddlers for newborns from Amazon.com for $47.50 and free shipping. That comes out to about $.19 per diaper. I thought that was a pretty amazing deal!

The only problem with doing it this way is if I end up with a size that the babies outgrow and I can't take them back and exchange them for a different size. But I figured I could at least get a few of these boxes at first because the book said that multiples are usually smaller than singles when they are born and they tend to stay in the newborn size diapers for the full 6 weeks. So I figured I would get about 3 or 4 of these boxes and get the rest from my local Babies R Us or Sam's(that's the best deal I found locally).

1 comment:

  1. hi tara! i did the same thing before i had jack as far as pricing diapers go and i got luck and one of my best friends works at a hospital and they could buy me diapers from there (Pampers) and they were SO cheap! so if you know someone that works in a hospital see if they can help you stock up! you will save a ton!
    darci

    ReplyDelete