Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter Memories

Since Easter is this weekend, I started thinking about all of my memories of Easter from when I was a little girl. I was born in Mississippi and in the south Easter is all about big, fluffy, pastel Easter dresses and the little white socks with the lace around the edges and white mary jane shoes. At least this is what it was like for a little girl in the 80s. If they weren't the fluffy pastel dresses, they were sailor dressing in blue and white. The night before Easter, my mom would put those awful pink sponge curlers in my hair and I would have to sleep in them all night. She would then take them out in the morning and brush out all of the curls to give me big bushy hair and then add some bows. I also had my favorite Easter earrings I used to wear. They were little white bunnies and I only wore them on Easter.
When we lived in Mississippi, we would go over to my grandparents house and/or an aunts house and hunt Easter eggs. I don't remember there being money in them like there are these days. I think most of them were empty or had jelly beans in them.

I also remember always having our pictures professionally done for Easter. It was always just me and my brother, never the whole family. I don't remember having our pictures taken any other time during the year. Just Easter.

I remember dying Easter eggs when I got older. I don't remember what we did with them after we dyed them because it seems like we always just hunted the plastic ones. And we started getting eggs with change in them too when I got older.

I also remember the Easter Bunny leaving gifts for us like Santa did. That was so exciting to me because I knew it was really my mom doing and I just couldn't wait to see what she picked out for me. It was usually a basket full of candy and a small gift like a new shirt or jewelry or something like that. I still got Easter gifts until I moved out of the house. I might have even gotten some my first few years of college when I would come home for the weekend. The Easter Bunny doesn't come see me anymore :(

I can't wait to have a little person of my own to dress up for Easter pictures, dye Easter eggs with, take on Easter Egg hunts, and surprise them with Easter Bunny gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment